Monday, November 17, 2014

We're in

We're in

We're in

We're in You
imaging
imaging You 
at ev'ry corner
imaging You
on ev'ry street
in the maze of written hist'ry
in ev'ry strange
and not so strange
us
whom You mother
on the breast
the abundant breast 
of Your Spirit

Grace-juice
spilling free
a niagra flowing
moistening open mouths
a-ga-pe with credos
and manna for the soul



*The only way to get rid of misconceptions about contemplation is to experience it.
-Thomas Merton


*Contemplation is not and cannot be a function of this external self.  There is an irreducible  opposition between the deep transcendent self that awakens only in contemplation and the superficial, external self which we commonly identify with the first person singular.  We must remember that this superficial "I" is not our real self.  It is our "individuality" and our "empirical self" but it is not truly the hidden and mysterious person in whom we subsist before the eyes of God.  The "I" that works in the world, thinks about itself, observes its own reactions and talks about itself is not the true "I" that has been united to God in Christ.  It is at best  the venture, the mask, the disguise of that mysterious and unknown "self" whom most of us never discover until we are dead.  Our external, superficial self is not eternal, not spiritual.
-Thomas Merton



*Untitled

Please waken me when I'm free
I cannot bear captivity
where my culture I'm told holds no significance
I'll wither and die in ignorance
But my inner eye can c a race
who reigned as kings in another place
the green of trees were rich and full
and every man spoke of beautiful
men and women together as equals
War was gone because all was peaceful
But now like a nightmare I wake 2 c
That I live like a prisoner of poverty
Please wake me when I'm free
I cannot bear captivity
4 I would rather be stricken blind
than 2 live without expression of mind
-Tupac Shakur

No comments:

Post a Comment