Sunday, November 16, 2014

Moving to old age

How quietly I moved to old age, 
a snail sliding toward the wood!
How could Time walk me to Death
grey me without my permission?

Zero could expand this fast
like  nightfall for some child
playing through the supper hour.


This creeping, crawling process
seducing me to view ME at prime
holds me in procession
while my flesh flakes away.

What wonder at the play
of Time, Flesh and Sister Death
the tide-in, tide-out of living
of being born at the Breaking Day.

The trip from womb to "slow-down"
is sure a subtle leap;
on this I've reached my "Senior Years"'
chauffeured by mem'ries growing dim.



*To enter into the realm of contemplation one must in a certain sense die: but this death is in fact the entrance into a higher life.
-Thomas Merton


*...contemplation is a sudden gift of awareness, an awareness to the Real within all that is real.
-Thomas Merton


*...we are words that are meant to respond to Him, to answer Him, to echo Him, and even in some way to contain Him and signify Him.
-Thomas Merton


*...the contemplative is at the same time, question and answer.
-Thomas Merton

No comments:

Post a Comment