Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Last nigga on the plantation

"Ya Sah, Mista Charlie Man!"
"No Sah, Bossman, You!"
No more, no more those slavish words
chocking breath a hue of blue

I've seen the promised meadows
'cross the Jordan's water blue;
have tasted manna in the desert;
got a hunger I can't subdue

I'm not the same, no longer
no slave 'pon plantation land;
have seen my brethren flee over;
no more niggas to command


the comforts of the old place
the mem'ries stored o'er years:
it's tough to brake the shackles
to drop manacles without tears

The flights into the darkness
 near drownings  in the creeks
stumbling through the underbrush:
the journeyings did get bleak

The new land won't be easy
gonna wish I'd never come
but senses will remind me
why this rugged path I've run

When you're standin' on the plantation
looking round to catch who's there
if you're the only nigga peering
take courage and leave it bear


There is only one art to life, namely, to live the truth and be in love.

In our running, are we running toward something or away from something; toward our self or away from our self; toward God or away from God?  At least, we're not standing still unless it is to be quiet. Being quiet in solitude is a movement.

It doesn't matter where I die.  It does matter how I live.

What's important in life is not to become some body but to know and be ones self.

No comments:

Post a Comment