Tuesday, August 26, 2014

when i shut my eyes
a crown of thorns flashed
as if a caution light
was signaling my life



read with any comprehension

he sat and could not read
with any comprehension
for his eyes fell tired
as his brain dried

thus ev'ry effort to read
fell dead between his knees

he could not read the letters
forming words before his eyes
but only chase them down
with each nod of his head

words as if foreign
incoherent as is smoke
paraded across his cranium
like ghosts pursuing ghosts

was he ignorant?
was he dumb?
his IQ often said No
but this afternoon in the library
he could not comprehend at all



*At eighteen I was plenty old enough to damn well know better than that.  And if it sounds like I've rendered a self-assessment far too harsh in light of my age, trust me, I haven't. I was wrong to embrace that crap. Spending  my impressionable years operating in the real world on such wishful thinking wasn't only too costly, it was also dangerous.  I well remember as a young man learning day by day to test my wings in life by stepping farther away from my ignorance.  Then one day, at a bold distance from the safety of that ignorance, I finally spotted my demons - first one, then another, then another.
-Sidney Poitier

No comments:

Post a Comment