Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Artificial passion

I.

What's artificial is their passion.
It's akin to the "Just Like" colognes
from the dollar store:
no pain, no doubts
nothing hot enough to burn someone;
nothing raw enough to expose ones blood.
It's sanctity that's dead letters in a book
ones we dream"if only's" about.

II.

I trip upon my struggles
my pretences to follow you
to cling tenaciously with passion
to whatever I need to mimic you.
Your feet have pressed into the land
their mark of passion that's real obsession:
red roses soaked in gall
beaten and stirred to the sweetest fragrance
borne stately like thorns circling the skull
and binding like nails through one drooping wrists.
You rub against my coward's flesh
to summon me whene'er you call
your niggling spirit pushing me 
through tears difficult to swallow.

III.

There's no escape but death
no assurance to measure ones step.
Send quickly then your Paraclete
and coax me up your hill.
I'll cry, "Abba-Daddy, give me a hand"
cause I'm scared to taste your redemption meat.



*Reflections of Alan Jones:

-Love is a kind of pain for which we are starved.  The pain comes when all that we have tried to deny will be denied on longer.  The soul suffocates when it is walled up. No wonder it resorts to violence when the pressure gets too much.  Love, the wild card, comes to such a soul by first puncturing the hardened shell in which it has encased itself.  Love, therefore, often comes as a terror - a threat to the self-protecting carapace under which we shelter.  A friend explains to William Golding's hero Wilfred the dire consequences to the soul that constructs for itself  a protective shell.

You see, you are what biologists used to call exoskeletal.  Most people are..endoskeletal, have their bones inside.  But you, my dear, for some reason known only to God...have spent your life inventing a skeleton on the outside.  Like crabs and lobsters.  That's terrible, you see, because the worms get inside, and...they have the place to themselves.   So, my advice...is to get rid of the armour, the exoskeleton, the carapace, before it's too late.

The task of love is to help us rid ourselves of the exoskeleton, to lay us bare, to set us free.


No comments:

Post a Comment