Friday, July 3, 2015

Thomas Who?

Who are you Thomas Flood
Thomas Floyd
Thomas Fludd
who sired three kids
with Sophie Stuart
Native-Black
mother-shunned
loved or used?

Where did you hide
that you could rise
to sire a child
when sex was desired?

Did your fam'ly know your underside
or had you learned from their wiles?

Irish they say you were.
 Did you speak with a brogue?
I'll never know.
Did you jump ship
to buy a slave
or is your hist'ry fixed
in Virginia's armament?

Your grandchildren
never saw your face
sat on your lap
played at your place.

You never visited
their alleys shacks
their Georgetown flats
their burial plats.

You disappeared Thomas Flood
fled to havens that kept you hid
but ever on their minds.

Your children hardly knew you
though bearing your name.
I've searched  for you
but found no trace
though it was your red
that covered my head
when I was born
your seed that lightened my flesh
making me "yellow" at birth
bringing Mendel's law full-bloom.

Thanks great-great-great grandpa
your legacy has stretched quite far
your hide and seek has birthed a freak
and a burden in my being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment