Tuesday, June 25, 2013

An Afterthought

I take a walk into the yard
to watch and see the lilies sprout
then I down the boulevard do walk
and pass a bum in tattered silks.

A poor lad lays upon the walk
and cries his brother-lips to mine
yet spied, I look upon his face
and run him back before the gate.


When orphans sit upon the fence
to watch my hurried gait run by
it's only rest that soothes my mind
of all the pain that they transgressed.

I circle back and pass the slums
steering clear of their smelly fumes;
the people here are only rats
the very thought can slay their irky pride.

I scoot fast past a beggar's plate
and jaundiced when he wheezed his cry
for I need weed the  lily patch
before the cloak of darkness rise.

Now that day has pleased me well
and life has scarred my sanctum'd bliss
'tis time I stop and think awhile
and check my spirit's blamelessness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment