Thursday, June 13, 2013

A prison of my own making

Bricks rise on the foundation of the curious,
the grounding and flooring-boards of my cell
within which walls the bars are cemented
to lock me in when I'd like to run.

I white-wash the outside while blackening the in...
while nudging myself to curse the dark.

'Tis an addictive preseciption holding me fast
begging me holler like a Marvin Gaye
or sing the sermons of Tupac Shakur.
But it's me, Ken Stewart, trapped in this cage
aching for freedom while barring the gate.

As I stare through the bars, the deception spreads
sucked into the center of its promising light
caught in the web of its tentacled embrace
drawn to its swamp where I slip in the muck.

It's my jail and I've locked the place
holding myself prisoner within this space.
I holler. I scream. I drip tears 'pon my bed.
I drop to the floor, prostrate in prayer.

With time's transformation being a healer of sight
visions of freedom signaled an eventual break
a stamina of prayer standing strong in my flesh.

The Whisperer speaks to the hope of It's love
coaxing me out of the prison I've built. 

No comments:

Post a Comment