Tuesday, June 30, 2015

media prostitution

i can't stomach prime-time canned humor
nor the hourly rehash of yesterday's news
the confessions of talk-show dummies chattering away our lives
the insults of judges mocking the sanity of the courts

it's a seduction of the senses where sensibilities ought reign
the control of our appetites with the abundance of choice
we're fucked up and over by the frightened and greedy
envious partakers of media prostitution

thank God for Hip-Hop and its no-shit allegiance
being the paranoia we swim in, sucking off our scars 


-There are parts of my psyche that are still at the stage of pre-puberty and adolescents.  That may always be the case.  In light of that, I must recall that I am "me" this day, this moment and what I decide or not decide is from this "now" and it is in "this moment" that I am responsible, that I love, I sin, I grow, I regress.  The challenge is to live "now", forgive "now", be "now", love "now".



*Thoughts of N.T. Wright:

-...it is part of living an authentically Christian life that you learn to forgive yourself as well.

-...because it's forgiveness we're talking about, not tolerance or indifference, this will once more mean exclusion as well embrace.  It will mean saying No to whatever it was in order to say Yes to God and God's forgiveness.  This will almost certainly take prayer and worship and perhaps the assistance of a wise counselor, but it's the way we are called to go, the way to spiritual health.  Those who insist on clinging to a sense of guilt all too easily become, alas, those who then pass on that sense of guilt to others as the burden becomes too great to bear.  Part of the answer to the prayer "Deliver is from evil" is that we learn to forgive ourselves, both for our own sake and for the sake of those around us.




No comments:

Post a Comment