Sunday, June 21, 2015

ichthus

i long for you Christ
fish-food for the human soul
meal of healing
morsel for the poor
savior from hunger
my primal need



Reflections of Mircea Eliade [with grammatical alterations]:

-Something of the religious conception of the world still persists in the behavior of profane people although we are not always conscious of the unmemorable heritage. 

-It does not lie within our province to write  the history of the gradual desacralization of the human dwelling.  The process is an integral part of the gigantic  transformation of the world undertaken by the industrial societies, a transformation made possible by the desacralization of the cosmos accompanied by scientific thought and above all by the sensational discoveries of physics and chemistry.  We shall later have occasion to inquire whether the desacralization of nature is really final, if no possibility remains for nonreligious persons to rediscover the sacred dimension of existence in the world.

-...in all traditional cultures, the habitation possess a sacred aspect by the simple face that it reflects the world.



*Innocent child!  There is no such creature.  Ask those who have to love and play with them.  They may be ignorant but not innocent.

*For some, the God they love is the God they hate.

*I am so accustomed to saying "No!" to myself, I don't know how to say, "Yes!"


*Wherever we are, whoever we are, the responsibility for the integrity and beauty of our personalities cannot be shirked.  I must get up each morning, take life into my own hands and put my distinct, unique and unrepeatable stamp on it.  I must freely decide to create the mood of the day rather than let the circumstances and conditions of the day rule my life.  With my spirit, the breath of God in me, I will transform the raw matter of my life and make it beautiful.  That is my human vocation and my moral duty.
 -William McNamara, OCD

No comments:

Post a Comment