Thursday, May 14, 2015

The taste  for something

She longed the taste of something
something to fill her mouth
her ear
or any place open to fill
with some delight to satisfy 
her oral fixation
for the moment

She gave these free reign:
ham
strawberries
substantial bread
rolled to please
to fill
divert her need
for the moment

Could it be
that these would be enough
enough to sate
the hunger in her gut?



*Thoughts of Frederick Bueckner

  -What scared the daylights out of me was to see suddenly how drawn we all are, I think, to the very things that appall us - to see how beneath our civilizedness, our religiousness, our humanness, there is that in all of us which remains uncivilized, religionless, subhuman, and which hungers for precisely the fare that Forty-Second Street offers, which is basically the license to be subhuman not just sexually but in any way that appeals to us - the license to use and exploit and devour each other 
like savages, to devour and destroy our own sweet selves.  And if you and I are tempted to think we don't hunger for such things, we have only to remember some of the dreams we dream and some of the the secrets we keep and the battle against the darkness we all of us fight.  I was scared that stiff that I would somehow get lost in that awful place and never find my way out.  I was scared that everybody I saw coming toward me down the crowded sidewalk - old and young, well dressed and ragged, innocent and corrupt - was in danger of getting lost.  I was scared that the world itself was lost as I was mad.  And of course in a thousand ways it is.

  -Faith is the eye of the heart, and by faith we see deep down beneath the face of things - by faith we struggle against all odds to be able to see - that the world is God's creation even so.






No comments:

Post a Comment