Sunday, May 10, 2015

Is insanity required for following Christ?
 -Kenneth Stewart


You

I didn't leave looking for You.
I wanted slippers to rest in
to stroll quietly about the house.
You nuzzled in
as if I were insane to follow You.

I wasn't shopping for You
till You poked Your nose through Mars Hill
leaping in sight with questions and coal.
I perused the fated review
as You peeked through ink and page
and like Parker, O'Connor knows
bought You who'd been riding my back
Your eyes fixed upon my baptized flesh.
12 bucks and no slippers eased from my purse.

I wasn't looking for You
but you fingered me
thrusting Yourself before my face.
I noticed You
and couldn't turn away.

What do You want of me
more than of these?
I'm a coward, a frightened man.
Don't know if i can give You what You seek
if I trust myself to be crazy enough
to follow You through sink or swim.
So what was I to do
as You touched my iconed flesh
but say, "Yes!",
trusting my gut that You're here
no matter what?



*Thoughts of Frederick Buechner:

  -Is the human heart the only source of its own healing?  Is it the human conscience                 only that whispers to us that in bitterness and estrangement is death?

  -We must each of us answer for ourselves, remember for ourselves, preach to ourselves our own sermons.

  -There has never been a time past when God wasn't with us as the strength beyond our strength, the wisdom beyond our wisdom, as whatever it is in our heart -  whether we believe in God or not - that keeps us human enough at least to get by despite everything in our lives that tends to wither the heart and make us less than human.  To remember the past is to see that we are here today by grace, that we have survived as a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment