Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Meat or Man

I.
When I stare past your naked eyes
within your naked bod'
a raw question rises:
"am I meat or am I Man"?
I scour your naked body
avoiding your naked eyes
answering:
"You are meat and I am man."
But I am pulled into your heartache
where your question's filled with terror
and I know that I'm a lecher
and know that you're the Man.

II.

Looking through the eyes
of the flesh upon which we gaze
with ears open to heart
questions rise to sight.
The face makes known the message
the silence wants to share
and a human projects before us
to challenge who is Man.

III.

With what eye will we see?
With what ear will we hear?
Is the other our reflection
the mirror of our fear
the fear of being meat
of Man to be cast aside?

IV.

Cannibals slay to take in souls
Christians presume to instill life.
No Man is meat for eyes to eat
each is Other for feeding Life.



*Thoughts of Theodore L. Prescott:

   -There are twelve-step programs, self-help books, talk shows, counselors, evangelists, psychics, and therapists, all glad to help you rearrange the furniture within your soul.  Walker Percy has marvelously  parodied this in Lost in the Cosmos: The Last Self-Help Book.  The desire for transformation is hardly bad, but the accumulated effects of all the techniques and programs for crossing into a better you, with subsequent glowing testimonials of new life, have created the cultural equivalent of attention deficit disorder.  America's public discourse is full of nervous introspective twitches, spasms, ticks and jeers, shudders, mutterings, and finally incessant rocking as we search for the next "best thing" for our lives.

   -What strikes me about our cultures's preoccupation with weight growth and transformation is it seems born of a desire for control.

   -I am certain that the result of the personal growth industry is a collective inability to discern what constitutes significant change.

   -Whatever the reasons, we Americans have problems distinguishing major achievements from interesting diversions.

   -...achievements are relative to the person making them... 

No comments:

Post a Comment