Sunday, February 23, 2014

i could climb through the window of  my soul
the fear of losing power already lost
mouth dried by the nervousness of exposure

i want to feel the day without fear
as if God were coursing through my blood
a heat on a muggy day
to sweat the poisons clinging to my cells

trudging through the graveyard of my emotions
searching for the tombstone chiseled "Sunshine"
i'm lost in a grove of overgrown flow'rs
neglected like a child whose parents ran away

why is there an officer in this swamp of bones?
is there treasure hid worth guarding the graves?
will he lead me to the shadows of my longing
through the fetid pools devoid of light?

somewhere in this miasma of concerns
ghosts lurk, flitting through the myths upheld
lost since the first internment, they seek companions
to release them from their sequestering cage

so i enter their silent movie, the script of which replays my life
and with a rose clenched tight between my teeth
dance as bloodlets weep from beneath my lips

now as mourner, i pass those whose gold-bands rust
carcases, dressed in earth, boxed in decay
giants no more, who can harm my battered flesh

my soul flares with tango passion
no longer condemned to be among the frightened
but looking at fears that choked my freedom
toss the rose upon the tombs of my fright
entering the window, reconciled to life




*God has hidden from us the secret of things to come.  If we were only supposed to serve those who are going to persevere, the truth is we still wouldn't know how to pick them out from the others.  Even if it is only for an hour, we must relieve the pain and sorrow of our neighbor.
-Jean Sulivan

*...how does one continue to give without developing calluses on your hands - and on your heart?
-Jean Sulivan

No comments:

Post a Comment