Friday, February 28, 2014

violently the wings beat
o'er the grave of
the dead virgin Mary

'twas a summons, it was
the call to rise

thus she rose on the gale
of a personal invitation
on the summons then carried
by messengers from on high
to enter the aula
of the divine restoration
the promise laid before
the shattered human race

she left flying with hast
as on the road to Judah
to assist the pregnant people
bearing Christ in their breast
the off-spring of Adam
bequeathed 'neath the cross

this was it
to be mother of all
to ripen the holy
stirring in their wombs



repeat after me
my lips are moving
something like thumb-prints
charming my flesh
something fingering me

my lips moved
but i know different
and so will you
if you simply listen
with unplugged ears
that gather sounds
hearing the person

repeat after me
I AM MORE

i am more
than flesh-colored bones
afro and american
by descent an object
for subtle abuse

open your ears
and melt the cold wax
coating your heart

the cloth covering your eyes
shed
then sit yourself down
let us begin to talk

No comments:

Post a Comment