Saturday, April 30, 2016

14th and Broadway in Queens

The sky that was heavy and threatening rain
showered its moist brew upon the dirt-dry earth
while wandering Broadway to Isamu's dream

Caught in the downpour of the shivering sky
I parked myself in the doorway of an Indian motel
awaiting respite before continuing my walk

I'd never been to a quick-sex joint
but here I was standing before the rate-board chart
letting rooms for 3 hours or more

Couples come and go during the array of thunder
hope-filled enough to pay the displayed prices
while the owners chat about the approaching sun

Outside the cage the prosties munch
the peanut butter and jelly sandwiched in their hands
as I thumb Campbell on the myths we share




*Missing

out of nowhere
I

find myself
missing

the I
I thought

I had to
earn

only

to find
myself

given
simply

given
for

given 
for

ever
       
                                           -Jerry Schroeder, Cap.



*Reflections of Jean Sulivan:

  -We rush past questions in order to avoid anxiety.

  -...in order to forget one first must know.

  -To live may also involve losing your faith and coming to realize that you are "possessed" by it.

  -By his absence-presence Jesus is more present than in the flesh.  Every spiritual experience, if it's not  just imaginary, is rooted in this understanding.

  -...to meet God is at the same instant to deny him.  Every certitude is a way of "putting God to death."

  -To create is the only important thing, to rediscover the fervor that produced the thing you're weeping for.

  -A true revolution always rediscovers the source of a tradition and expresses it in body and soul at the same instant.

  -...in order to be unrooted it's first necessary to be rooted.

No comments:

Post a Comment