Saturday, August 24, 2013

 a rapper's delusion

mixed images snaked through my mind:
couples hugging as in embrace;
faces bound in colored stripes;
spent sperm swimming briskly;
Van Gogh's ear being re-opened;
rappers mouthing karaoke
not knowing what else to say
because booty and booze never cut a record
nor placed bread on another's table.

this was the nonsense seeking meaning
at a venue near a boutique cafe
in hopes a coveted music-maker
would stop to hear me thoroughly through.

but it's silly to wait much longer.
it's now a quarter to nine
and the gas-lamp lighter is roaming
through alleys making outrageous promises
while listening to my mental meanderings 
on a night when day hangs longer and longer.

it's time to move on.
hop a train and find a bed.
rest the rhythms circulating round my head
as they await the night when they'll be heard.



a tear, downtown

his hand was stretched
'twas food he sought.

i asked him who he was.
Danny was his name.

i was the first of 50;
none others cared to stop.

"will you shake my hand?
dirty, i know it is."

off slid my glove. 
it blew his scandalized mind.

i grasped his hands
and he praised God.

we shook each other warm.
he didn't label me a bum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment