Monday, October 10, 2016

Lazarus in his tomb

i.

He's dead!

Did he wish to live
laying bound in a hollowed rock
a corpse twined in strips of gauze?

ii.


I'm dead
but wish to live
a house clothed 
in tattered sins

My body rests granite-stiff
on the bier of my bead
I don't feel freedom stirring
in the marrow of my bones

Pop-psychologists would have me
rise from the dead, preaching
that my freedom 's deep-sleeping
within my driveling veins

I can only hope my Friend
will decide to come and pay respects
shed a tear perhaps
and groan before returning home
or perhaps
longing to see my face
stand at the fetid tomb
and bellow out my name



*Is it You I want or some image or some idea of You?

*Flannery O'Connor says, "Life is the will of God..."  But does God will every happening in life?

*In the area of sexual abuse, our bishops chose expediency over justice, doing a disservice to both the victim and the accused, indeed to the entire society. 




*Reflections of Frederick Buechner:

  -I believe that what Genesis suggests is that this original self, with the print of God's thumb still upon it, is the most essential part of who we are and is buried deep in all of us as a source of wisdom and strength and healing which we can draw upon or, with our terrible freedom, not draw upon as we choose.

  -There I was, making a fool of myself spilling our to them the secrets of my heart, and there they were, not telling me what they believed about anything beneath the level of their various causes.  It was at that point that a Black student got up and spoke.  "The reason I do not say anything about what I believe," he said in his stately African English, "is that I'm afraid it will  be shot down."

At least for a moment we all saw, I think, that the danger of pluralism is that it becomes factionalism, and that if factions grind their separate axes too vociferously, something mutual, precious and human is in danger of being drowned out and lost.

  -To love our neighbors as we love ourselves means also to love ourselves as we love our neighbors. It means to treat ourselves with as much kindness and understanding as we would the person next door who is in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment