Wednesday, September 25, 2013

*Hatch

what
the winged life
wants

is

to be
outside
in the open
commerce
of hearts

where
nothing
is bought
or 
sold

-Jerry Schroeder, Cap.




I sat and listened

            i.

I sat
    and listened to the rains
    one night
    thinking thoughts of you
o scarred-soul boy
crying within your darkness.

And with each
    splatter-patter
    gentle tapping
    of drops
    twenty nights
    raced across
    the impressed memory 
    of my mind.

Why then
    I know not why.
    I know not why
    your frustrations
    (now mine)
    paused me for a time
so short a time
to stalk me down.

Was it 'cause I listened?

             ii.

The clouds
    cry yet on
    and thunder with pain
    that echoes  you
    to my mind again.
But I must rest
and slumber my head
    (the hours have chased me
    down to now).

(My prayers prayed
    midst the softness
    of those drops
    the racking thunder-pain
to our Hope not far away).

You lay with me
    in my soul's calm unrest
    as I listen to the rains
with their twenty nights of pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment